Fall 2018 seminar now open for registration!
Register at the bottom of the page - exact location TBD, but it'll be locally in Annapolis.
Join Andy, Mia & friends in Annapolis in October for another weekend of sailing history and celestial navigation. While there is hardly an argument anymore for celestial as a backup to electronic navigation, it's part of sailing history, and as ocean sailors, we owe it to ourselves to at least have a general understanding of it, I say! Plus, it makes those long night watches that much more enjoyable when you know your place - physically and philosophically - in the universe.
Note that the course officially starts Saturday, but there is an optional happy hour Friday night to chat before the class starts.
This will be a hands-on workshop, where you'll learn the concepts of celestial and do some actual sextant sights on the docks. Plus, you'll get to hang out with some like-minded people in a cool & inspiring environment!
Cost is $500, the Workshop is limited to the first 8 people who sign up.
DAY ZERO (FRIDAY):
- Happy Hour at one of the bars in Annapolis, location TBC (optional)
DAY ONE (SATURDAY):
- In-depth discussion of celestial concepts & a series of 'thought exercises' to get you in the right frame of mind and learn your position spatially on the surface of the Earth.
- Hands-on work with the sextant and practice taking sights.
- Diving into the books and how to 'reduce' a sight.
DAY TWO (SUNDAY):
- Practice sight reduction problems based on real-world passages Andy & crew have completed.
- The running fix concept.
- Introduction to star sights
Celestial Navigation Passage on 'Isbjorn', BVI-Bermuda May 2018
What the workshop includes:
- Copy of Hewitt Schlereth's Celestial in a Nutshell
- Universal Plotting Sheet booklet
- Notebook & pencil
- Weems & Plath Star Finder
- Use of a pre-owned sextant for practice during the weekend, with the option to buy one at the end of the Workshop (courtesy of Bacon Sails in Annapolis)
- Coffee throughout the day
Click here to read some of Andy's articles on celestial that he's written over the years.
Friday, Oct. 12, 1900: Join Andy, Mia & friends at Weems & Plath for an Open House, including live music, free drinks, tours of the workshop & food for purchase. Open to all.
Saturday, Oct. 13, 0900-1700: Workshop begins at the National Sailing Hall of Fame building in downtown Annapolis. 69 Prince George St. Coffee and tea (included) during the morning session, with a break from 1200-1300 for lunch.
Saturday, Oct. 13, 1900: Meetup downtown, location TBC, for an optional group dinner at your own cost. (RSVP required).
Sunday, Oct. 14, 0900-1530: Workshop Day 2. Coffee & tea in the morning, with a 1200-1300 lunch break. Stay later for Q&A and storytelling if you so choose, but we'll formally end at 1530 for those who need to travel home.