This event is currently FULL. Want to be on the wait list in case of late cancelations? Send us an email, email@example.com!
Join Master Rigger Brion Toss, Andy, Mia, Chuck O'Malley & friends for a hands-on, three-day weekend of rigging work, sailmaking theory and sail repair. You can sign up for all three days, or just pick one of them - each day is 'independent' of the others, so you won't miss anything if you can't attend the full 3-day weekend. We'll focus on rigging & sailmaking theory, and then dive into some splicing techniques, sail repair techniques & more. Workshop limited to 20 people each day.
The workshop will include some of the tools and materials that you'll need for the course, which will make a great addition to your onboard toolkit. We'll include a complete list of tools & materials in an upcoming newsletter to registered participants. Customized repair kits will be availible for purchase.
The weekend is sponsored by:
Sign Up Now!
You can join us for the full 3-day weekend ($550), or pick just one of the topics ($300/Rigging Days or Sail Repair Day). Rigging will be on Friday & Saturday, October 13-14, Sailmaking on Sunday, October 15. Price does not include the optional drinks night on Friday.
Complete the signup form below by selecting the days you'd like to attend and clicking 'signup'. A form will pop-up on screen - complete that form, hit 'signup' and make sure to complete the checkout process and payment by going to the shopping cart, which will appear at the top right of your screen. See screenshots below...
Pick the days you like to attend and click 'Sign Up'.
Fill out your contact info, then click 'Sign up'
Go to 'cart' (top right) to complete the Registration.
- Friday, October 13, 1200: Rigging Day 1, with Brion Toss.
- Yard walk: Rig types // “Flow of forces”
- Standing rig load calculations
- Standing rig selection
Distribution of Load
High Modulus Rope
Hayn & Sta-Lok Assembly
High Modulus Rope Splices
- Rig Tune
- Friday, October 13, 1700: Meet for beers at the loft following Rigging Day 1!
- Saturday, October 14, 0800-1200: Rigging Day 2: Hands-On Rigging continues at Chesapeake Sailmakers loft. We'll have coffee on-hand, but plan to eat breakfast beforehand.
- Yard Walk: Rig inspection, mast & deck layout
Shared Details, brand-specific quirks
Tune, Lube & Maintenance
- Running Rigging Load Calculations & Selection
- Knots & Splices
- Winches: selection, location & maintenance
- Vangs, sheets, outhauls & other sail controls
- Saturday, October 14, 1300-1700: The afternoon rigging session will include hands-on workshops. You'll learn three of the most common types of splices, how to rig a proper preventer & more.
- Sunday, October 15, 0800-1200: Workshop Day 2: Hands-on Sailmaking & Repair begins. As for Saturday, coffee will be on-hand, but eat brekky first! Morning session will cover sail design theory, materials selection, sail selection for passagemaking, etc.
- Sunday, October 15, 1300-1700: After the lunch break, Chuck O'Malley will lead a hands-on sail repair session, teaching you how to repair and maintain your cruising sails with the tools you'd find onboard. Customized repair kits will be available for purchase.