$4,200 // 10 Days
This 600-mile passage will be a combination of cruising and ocean sailing, so you'll get the best of both worlds. We'll start in St. John's, visit the French island of St. Pierre (like we did on Arcturus in 2011, and Isbjorn in 2016) and finish with a 350-mile passage to historic Lunenburg, Nova Scotia.
We had a FOGGY landfall in St. Pierre in 2016! In fact, the two times we've visited the tiny French outpost, the last vestige of mainland France on the N. American continent, we've scarcely seen the place! No matter - you can taste your way around the island! The French do food right, and you'll be in for a treat in St. Pierre. The sleepy former fishing village knows how to do French cuisine, and after hiking in the rugged hills & spotting whales and puffins, your appetite will be deserved!
- July 1: Join the boat in St. John's, Newfoundland
- July 2/3: Depart St. Johns and sail offshore to St. Pierre, about 250 nm / 2 days.
- July 4/5: Arrive to St. Pierre and explore a few days, then offshore sail to Lunenburg
- July 11: Crew depart the boat in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. Closest airport is Halifax.
There is also an option to extend the trip and continue on for Leg 10 from Lunenburg-Annapolis, 850-mile nonstop ocean passage. Indicate this choice in your registration.
- Fly into St. John's (YYT) airport to meet the boat, no earlier than July 1st (If you like to explore St. John's and Newfoundland, you can travel a few days early and book accomodation ashore before joining Isbjorn).
- Fly out of Halifax (YHZ), a 60-90 min taxi or bus ride from Lunenburg. In the past, crew has teamed out and booked flights around the same time and shared a taxi / rented a car.
How to Join
To register, complete the Offshore Passage Registration by clicking the 'Register Now' button above, or at the bottom of the page. You'll be asked to complete the form - make sure you hit submit. Indicate 'Leg 9: Newfoundland - Lunenburg 2019' as your preferred passage.
Once we receive your registration, you'll be sent an invoice for 50% of the balance, due immediately. The final 50% of the balance will be due 60 days prior to the passage date. Terms and conditions are in the registration form, and you'll be asked to agree to them before submitting your deposit. Please read them carefully.
Cost & What You Get
The trip is $4,200.00 per person, which includes everything you need on the boat, plus the following:
- Use of a Helly Hansen 'Inflatable Racing' PFD with integrated harness.
- Use of a double-tether for moving around on deck
- Isbjörn Sailing crew t-shirt or 59º North hat or visor (your choice at registration).
- All meals, snacks and drinks while on the boat, including beer, wine and rum while in port.
- Pillows and sheets onboard.
- Large collection of books onboard, including novels, sailing classics and sailing reference books, in hard copy.
- Online tracking for friends and family at home from YB Tracking.
- Extra t-shirts, hats and visors for sale onboard
- Custom embroidered Helly Hansen crew polo shirts with your name and/or the passage route embroidered on them ($60.00). Available in red, white, navy or black.
- Any Helly Hansen clothing and sailing gear offered at 10% off their retail price. Visit hellyhansen.com for their online catalog. Can have stuff custom embroidered with the Isbjörn Sailing logo.
What the price DOESN'T include:
- Transportation to and from the boat.
- Personal toiletries & clothing.
- Sleeping bag.
- Foul-weather gear (see packing list for details).
- Meals and drinks ashore