$3,400.00 // 8 Days
This trip is now fully crewed. To get on the waitlist, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Because we love the cool weather and incredible scenery of the Canadian Maritimes, Isbjorn is going back to Nova Scotia & Newfoundland for a THIRD time in 2019!
It'll be an 850 nautical mile passage to the heart of the Canadian Maritimes on Isbjörn, our classic S&S Swan 48. Lunenburg is loaded with history, and you'll be met on arrival by the fishing schooners of old and some seriously friendly folks. The water's refreshingly chilly for an early morning swim, and it's easy to come and go from the big airport in Halifax.
We'll sail from Annapolis and go either north, through the C&D Canal, into the Delaware Bay and offshore at Cape May, routing direct for Lunenburg. OR, we'll sail south down the Chesapeake and head offshore at Cape Henry, for a longer jaunt in the ocean - it'll depend on the weather.
In 2016, Andy got appendicitis and we had to divert to Newport to rush him to the hospital (see Passage Logs below for that story). We hope that 2019 will bring us better luck as we head north! The weather will be summery to start, but gradually cool as we head into the waters off the coast of New England & Nova Scotia. The cold Labrador sweeps down from the Arctic, bringing with it much cooler temperatures and often fog. We learned to rely heavily on the radar in 2016, and we'll do so again in 2019. It'll be a a great learning experience for crew, and an opportunity to get comfortable sailing in limited visibility.
- June 3: Join Isbjorn in Annapolis.
- June 4th - Planned departure from Annapolis (weather dependent), a non-stop sail up to Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. We head up the Chesapeake, through the C&D Canal and down the Delaware where we'll head offshore at Cape May. It's 800+ miles up to Lunenburg, non-stop and it'll be proper ocean sailing, with fog, fishing boats, possible heavy weather and chilly conditions as we approach the Canadian coast. Expect the trip to take 5-6 days from Cape May.
- June 10: Planned arrival to Lunenburg, but depending on the weather it can be faster. If we arrive early, you are welcome to stay onboard and explore until June 11th.
- June 11: Crew depart Isbjorn at noon.
- Closest airport to Annapolis is Baltimore (BWI), or any of the DC airports, all a quick taxi ride to Annapolis. We will let you know exact location of where to join Isbjorn in Annapolis closer to the trip.
- Closest airport to Lunenburg is Halifax, about a 90-minute shuttle / taxi ride from Lunenburg, which will coats between $90-$150. In the past, crew have teamed-up and shared rides to Halifax, saving time and money. Consider booking a hotel near the airport prior to departing Canada. Details on booking recommendations to follow once you sign-up.
How to Join
To register, complete the Offshore Passage Registration by clicking the 'Register Now' button above, or at the bottom of the page. You'll be asked to complete the form - make sure you hit submit. Indicate 'Leg 7: Annapolis - Lunenburg 2019' as your preferred passage.
Once we receive your registration, you'll be sent an invoice for 50% of the balance, due immediately. The final 50% of the balance will be due 60 days prior to the passage date. Terms and conditions are in the registration form, and you'll be asked to agree to them before submitting your deposit. Please read them carefully.
Cost & What You Get
The trip is $3,400.00 per person, which includes everything you need on the boat, plus the following:
- Use of a Helly Hansen 'Inflatable Racing' PFD with integrated harness.
- Use of a double-tether for moving around on deck
- Isbjörn Sailing crew t-shirt or 59º North hat or visor (your choice at registration).
- All meals, snacks and drinks while on the boat, including beer, wine and rum while in port.
- Pillows and sheets onboard.
- Large collection of books onboard, including novels, sailing classics and sailing reference books, in hard copy.
- Online tracking for friends and family at home from YB Tracking.
- Extra t-shirts, hats and visors for sale onboard
- Custom embroidered Helly Hansen crew polo shirts with your name and/or the passage route embroidered on them ($60.00). Available in red, white, navy or black.
- Any Helly Hansen clothing and sailing gear offered at 10% off their retail price. Visit hellyhansen.com for their online catalog. Can have stuff custom embroidered with the Isbjörn Sailing logo.
What the price DOESN'T include:
- Transportation to and from the boat.
- Personal toiletries & clothing.
- Sleeping bag.
- Foul-weather gear (see packing list for details).