#227. Chris is a long-time ocean racing sailor, having competed in the Velux 5 Oceans Race, skippered a boat in the Clipper Race and later building his own charter-racing business called Spartan Ocean Racing. Chris & Andy met at the RORC Caribbean 600 in Antigua in 2016, Isbjorn's first attempt at the race, and finally got the chance to record a podcast in January 2018!
Find out more online:
Check out the featured Tayana 52 on forbesyachts.com
- Chris is racing in the 2018 RORC Caribbean 600 on the boat Challenger
- Spartan Ocean Racing
- Andy & Chris first met in Antigua in 2016 at the RORC Caribbean 600
- Volvo 60 boats
- Doug Watson, international tall ship rigger.
- Project Trust, UK
- Chris worked as a volunteer at Hong Kong Outward Bound School on board the school's 144ft Brigantine Sail Training Vessel ‘Ji Fung’ in 96-96, and went back to work with them again in 2004.
- Got onboard a Challenge yacht but found out that the Challange Race was not around any more.
- Chris found an ad in Yachting World Magazine for Clipper Around the World Race and became a skipper.
- Andy's "On the Wind" interview with Sir Robin Knox Johnson, Episode #163, fall of 2016.
- Sir Robin Knox Johnson and the Clipper Around the World Race
- The Long Way by Bernard Moitessier
- Ros Applebey on Scarlet Oyster
- Chris worked with Derek Hatfield and Spirit of Canada for about a year on the Volvo 60.
- Solo 'the wrong way around the world' is a future dream project.
- Spartan Racing has started a new parteship with 'Sail for Cancer'
Photos from facebook.com/spartanoceanracing
Also Supported by:
Support the Show - Contribute
On The Wind is the evolution of 59º North, and is, quite simply, long-form conversations with sailors from around the world. 'On the Wind' Sailing Podcast is informal chats with people from around the world of sailing - tall ship captains, Cape Horners, sailing authors, Volvo Ocean Race skippers, yacht designers, family cruisers, Arctic adventurers and more. Our aim is to define what creates success in the sailing world and figure out how to accomplish dreams on the high seas.
So that's the gist of it - the more cash money we have coming in, the better the show will be going out. Read About the Podcast for more details about the show and where your money actually goes.