Annie Dike is a reformed lawyer-turned-sailor - that is, she left the profession in her early 30s to pursue a more passionate life. Her and her partner Philip sail a Niagara 35 on the west coast of Florida, and they recently crossed the Atlantic to France on a high-tech Catamaran. Annie & I discussed how she left the lawyer world behind, what the Atlantic crossing was like for a first-time ocean sailor, her various movie projects, her friendship with Pam Wall & her passion for helping others pursue the cruising lifestyle.
Annie Dike is a truly interesting & inspiring character, and what follows was one of the more fun-loving and honest interviews I’ve done in a while. Annie has an infectious personality, and has been using her lawyer-like work ethic to offer cruising opportunities to other aspiring sailors. Mia & I recently teamed up with Annie to offer one of our offshore passages aboard Isbjorn to one of her fans - check out Annie’s Patreon page on patreon.com/havewindwilltravel for details.
Topics Discussed in the Podcast
- Annie's movie Trans-At on a Fast Cat Movie is for rent on YouTube
- Patreon - Get inspired. Get on board.
- What is like to change your profession to your passion in life
- Annie was a Medical Malpractice defense lawyer
- Mr. Money Mustache is a website & lifestyle blog for managing/ investing your money
- Realizing how similar other personalities are to yourself when offshore
- How important “situational awareness” is when sailing
- How important it is to be resourceful at sea
- Weather Fax – How to get maps & pressure maps when out at sea
- Why having a weather router is helpful when crossing oceans
- DeLorme for sailing and rigging advice
- OCENS Satellite Files for GRIB files
- Regatta in the Bahamas
- What it feels like to hand steer for long periods offshore
- The culture of sailing to the Azores
- If your shrouds are vibrating it can eventually compromise your rig
- “If you want to go, then go. Things are always going to break” – Annie Dike
- Description of Ocean Sailing - “The minutes and hours pass slowly, but the days pass quickly” – Tom Herrington
People & Books Discussed in the Podcast
- Yanic a pilot in the French Navy who’s boat was hit by lightening and sailed with Annie Dike
- Johnny Walker – A diesel engine mechanic that Annie cruised with
- Phillip Annie’s partner whom she crossed the Atlantic with
- Bernard Moitessier’s Books - Cape Horn the Logical Route & The Long Way
- Pam Wall a Cruising consultant and expert sailor
- John Kretschmer a professional sailor and a mentor of Andy’s
- Therriy Humeau a professional videographer that worked on 59-North videos as well as at other professional news stations
- ATN, a former Whitbread sailor and owner of ATN Inc.
- Annie Dike’s Books - The Salt of a Sailor, None Such like It, & Keys to the Kingdom
How to find Annie online