It's been all over SAILfeed here, the story of Matt Rutherford's encounter with the abandoned Swan 48 Wolfhound and his subsequent attempt at salvaging her. Here it now from the man himself, on the second installment of my '59 Degrees North' podcast. Episode 3 is also Matt, discussing the specifics of his first Ocean Research Project expedition to study the Atlantic Garbage Patch with scientist Nicole Trenholm onboard the Colvin 44 Ault . Enjoy!
Topics covered in the episode
- Matt's new project: Ocean Research Project
- Atlantic garbage patch
- Pacific garbage patch
- Matt's voyage "Solo around the Americas"
- What it feels like to be at sea for 73 days
- The difference between this trip and the “Solo the Americas”
- How Matt and Nicole met
- Citizen science projects
- Nicole working for NOAA in the Bering Seas and Chesapeake Bay before they met
- Oxford Yacht Club (Tred Avon Yacht Club, Oxford, MD)
- Annapolis School of Seamanship
- The financial challenge of running the project
- The science data collected during the project
- The difference between their kind of research vs bigger projects and the financial benefit of doing research from smaller sailboat vessels.
- Future projects for Ocean Research Project