#187. Matt Rutherford is a longtime friend of the podcast and founder of the Ocean Research Project. Matt became famous, of course, for his legendary Solo the America’s voyage, during which he sailed a 27’ Albin Vega around both American continents. In our latest chat, recorded in Sweden back in January, Matt recalls the summer of 2016 in Greenland, where he & his partner Nicole piloted their research schooner Ault into the uncharted waters of the far north, nearly coming to grief in a wild Arctic storm and subsequently being rescued by the Danish Navy. Matt is one of the best storytellers we’ve had on the show, so I just let him go to town again in this one, and he doesn’t disappoint. Follow Matt’s ongoing adventures at oceanresearchproject.org.
How to find Matt & Ocean Research Project:
Previous 'On the Wind' Episodes with Matt:
- #147: Matt Rutherford, Paul Exner & Mark Baummer
- #66: LIVE: Matt Rutherford, Jamin Greenbaum & Nicole Trenholm
- #124: Matt & Nicole explore Greenland, summer 2015
- #78: Matt Rutherford, Andy & Matt chat's about the movie 'On dot in the Ocean'
- #37: Matt Rutherford in Japan
- BONUS: Matt Rutherford - 7000 miles pacific voyage set to depart California
- #16 Matt Rutherford Sails for Japan
- #3: Matt Rutherford's encounter with the abandoned Swan 48 Wolfhound
- #2: Matt Rutherford