Lin & Larry Pardey need no introduction. They’re cruising legends, inspiring generations of sailors to ‘go small, go simple, and go now.’ I first discovered them through books I found in my parent’s basement - indeed it was the Pardey’s that primarly inspired my mom and dad to first set off on their 32’ sloop for a winter in the Bahamas in 1979. Mia and I read their books in detail when preparing Arcturus for the Atlantic crossing we made in 2011. What follows is a ‘recycled’ chat about their cruising careers that I had with Lin & Larry back in 2013, when the podcast first started.
Find Lin & Larry Pardey online:
- Website: landlpardey.com
Topics covered in the podcast, including links
- Cruising around the Baltic and the many rocks!
- Sailing around the Sthlm Archipelago
- Getting lost around the Finish Archipelago “Where in the world do you give the lighthouse keeper a month off?”
- The decision not to head out on a long ocean crossing any time soon and the decision why.
- Their home base Kawau Island, New Zealand
- “We crossed most of the oceans we wanted to cross”
- “Don't wait to go out cruising”
- The decision to build their own boat instead of buying a used one.
- Sailboat Taleisin
- Sailboat Seraffyn
- 13 ft sailboat ‘Tinkerbelle’ across the Atlantic
- Sailboat Freya 39
- The change in attitude towards ‘being comfortable’ at sea
- The downside of adding extra gear to your boat and how sailing became rocket science
- Funny stories about chartplotters and when Lin & Larry started using a GPS
- Why Lin & Larry prefer paper charts over chart plotters
- Lin helped organizing Matt Rutherfords homecoming after the “Around the Americas”
- CRAB - Chesapeake Region Accessible boating
- Driving up to Alaska, maybe in the future?
Books and movies mentioned in the podcast
- “One Simple Question Movie” by Ben Ericsen & Teresa Carey
- “Once is enough” by Miles & Beryl Smeeton
- High Endeavours: The Extraordinary Life and Adventures of Miles & Beryl Smeeton
- As Long as It's Fun, the Epic Voyages and Extraordinary Times of Lin and Larry Pardey by Herb McCormick
People mentioned in the podcast
- Ben & Teresa Carey
- Hal & Margret Roth
- Miles & Beryl Smeeton
- Tim & Pauline Carr
- Herb McCormick
- Matt Rutherford
- Jim Carrier